Monday 25 October 2010

ACW Game: Old School Scenario

I played an ACW game last weekend just before I went on holiday this week.

It was based upon the classic Action in the Plattville Valley which appeared in
the Don Featherstone Wargaming book. I used identical line-ups, except for the
Union side, which on account of it's generally lower level of unit morale I
compensated it with two additional regiments of infantry and one gun battery.

The battle was a complete indulgence in nostalgia where I used as much of the
information re unit names and dispositions as I could. I've played it a couple
of times before. Once, back in the early 80's, using the ACW Rules written by DF
in his Wargamers Newsletter and a more up to date version using modified Shako
rules.

Enjoyed them all no matter the rules used - they all had their highs and lows.
I'd say I was consistently pleased with the Thomas version. I modified the
retreat rules following the recent discussion on the Group re this subject and
decreed that units retreat directly to the rear but were allowed to
interpenetrate blocking units, however, these would be subject to a morale test
which if failed would result in a base loss.

One feature of the rules I used far more than in previous games was rallying.
The Union side in particular gained significant advantage from resting their
battered units and regaining combat capacity to re-join the action. Having more
units gave them a greater flexibility to hold units in reserve and rotate their
engaged units with fresh ones.

The game actually ended very much as the original did. The Union were triumphant
on their right flank and were in a position to secure Plattville which was their
objective. The CSA General Jubal A. Early was able to retreat his largely intact
command under the cover of nightfall. He was still strong in cavalry and had two
thirds of the infantry intact, however, he'd lost both batteries and the Union
forces still had two and which were a persitant drain to his remaining offensive
capacity. Retreat to fight another day proved a compelling arguement.

The next game I'm planning to do is my Gladiator simulation, that I played using
modified SIP, as a 16 v 16 AMW game and see how this goes. I have a feeling this
will be a cracker. Masses of legions, masses of Germans. What more could you
want!

I'm also working on expanding my WWI and Colonial modifications to Colonial East
Africa and while on holiday have a noted a number of projects to keep me busy up
to Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment