Sunday 27 February 2011

WW II Mini Campaign

I thought I'd try out a mini-campaign format using the WWII Rules from
Introduction. I've made a considerable number of additional house rules to get
them where I want them to be. My playtesting is now flushing out refinements and clarifications for me to rule on and satisfy my own understanding of the rule
procedures.

The campaign was based on an example from Miniature Wargaming where a contributor showed 7 linked scenarios which together formed a linear mini-campaign. It was based on a US mixed arm contingent in late 1944 trying to winkle out a determined German formation, low on armour but pretty well equipped with anti-tank and anti-personnel weaponry.

The first game which I've just completed was a real eye opener for me. It came
as a real surprise to the US commander who naively expected an easy victory. The
opposite was the case. The Americans had game units representing A and B company
and a couple of Shermans. The Germans had no armour but possessed a Pak 40 and
two MMG positions in addition to their rifle units. They were tasked with
defending the Twin Farms which was near their baseline, behind a stream and
bridged at the village, defended by most of the German forces. They also had an
advanced formation deployed on Hill 219 within a ruined building and some
dispersed woodland.

The Germans managed to keep themselves concealed and ambush the US advance. With
some great die rolls they decimated the attackers. The Pak 40 made a good kill
on one of the Shermans while the concealed Panzerfaust Team performed the
classic side knock out of the other Sherman using the reserved fire rule.

With their armour eliminated, no HE capability and yet with a couple of
pillboxes to reduce, the US commander conceded defeat and managed to extricate
his remaining armoured infantry units.

The game highlighted a few rules to clarify - but no major changes like my
previous playtests - so I think I'm getting much happier with them. I
particularly like the flexibility they seem to support. This was a small scale
encounter - 7 US units v 4 German - and the rules perfectly supported this
smaller scale level.

Next game is the crossing at Pont-De-La-Croix. Hopefully my US commander has
learned a couple of things from the first game.

No comments:

Post a Comment