Thursday 11 August 2011

18th Century Linear Warfare

I've been formulating some linear warfare modifications to the core Napoleonic ruleset and have been play testing these using the War of the Austrian Succession as a test period. I'm quite pleased with the results so far and will post my updates to the files section. The key aspect I was trying to simulate were the benefits of a linear deployment through supported flanks and a second line. I've also introduced battalion guns and some specific features of the period into the army lists. As with all the Thomas rule sets, the army lists are the best way to introduce period chrome and not overburden the core rules with a multitude of exceptions and "specials". This, to me seemed, to infect the WRG rules development resulting in technical manuals. I'm quite warmed by the spirit that's emerging in wargaming just now where there is a retrospective viewpoint being taken back to the simple, playable and collegiate rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment