Sunday 20 January 2013

Napoleonic Battle: France v Spain 1808

I finally managed to find some quality time and play a battle. I chose an Iberian encounter between a French force led by General Moreau against the decrepit General Cortenesca. Both generals were pretty poor and this became evident in the game where I was following my solo amendments to the letter.

The French advanced on a line of Spanish defenders and managed to make reasonable headway despite a surprise attack from a unit of Spanish cavalry. I found the Spanish poor command rating to be a real problem in allowing me to co-ordinate any credible response to the French thrusts and with a few units going awol, of their own accord, the game was up after turn 7. I took a defensive outcome on my Battle plan generator, modified with a downward penalty due to the General, as an exceptional result, entailing a general retreat for the Spanish army. This conceded the field to the French.

A fine game, although it didn't show off many of the French strengths. The unpredictable Spanish were fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment