Friday 22 May 2015

One Hour Wargames: Playtest

I decided to try out the One Hour Wargames Rules, written by Neil Thomas, that I had purchased last year but had never got round to playing. I setup an ACW game based on Scenario 1, a straightforward encounter battle with 6 units a side. I included some random events and my own Command rules to inject the feeling of friction.



The rules gave me a surprise and the game played much better than I had expected. There was far more variation than you would have imagined. It certainly spurred me on to develop some more modifications and additions to provide a bit more specific period chrome and assist the solo gaming dimension through refinement of some of the features I'd playtested. In the game a rapid Confederate advance, initially successful, was repulsed by some stubborn Union resistance. It lasted 9 turns with quite a convincing victory for the Federal forces.


I'm going to give a few more games a try covering some more periods. I'm using my Memoir'44 and C&C boards with the right flank section refused to give me a square gaming area and cm measurements for my 6mm figures. On top I'm using the terrain tiles from the board games but may start using actual terrain.  




No comments:

Post a Comment