Sunday 2 December 2018

One Hour Wargames: WW2 Scenario

I had the notion to play a miniatures game so I decided to setup one based on my standard WW2 US and German forces and put them in a scenario that was just created free form. I got out some terrain pieces and all my hedgerows and randomly placed them on the table in a manner that appealed to me visually. I then placed the units where I thought they would have been deployed.


I wanted a river and a couple of bridges with a village to be defended by the Germans. This was to be a pretty low level tactical game so we are dealing here with platoon formations under a company commander.


The US forces had a daunting task to attack a prepared German defence so I decided to give them an edge in experience and made them all elite while the Germans remained regular. This did have a subtle and ultimately decisive effect on the outcome with superior activation and combat results. 

Here is the position towards the end of the game - probably around turn 7 or 8. After a costly advance in terms of an eliminated platoon and tank the Americans managed to take out some of the key German units and establish a numerical advantage. With their superior experience this assured victory.

This was a lot of fun. What looked like a certain US repulse actually transformed into a decisive win. 
The cat showed it's excitement too. 

1 comment:

  1. Is the cat studying the rules?
    I enjoyed the report - Thanks for sharing.
    Dexey

    ReplyDelete