Thursday 30 September 2010

SIP Ancients Playtest

With all the recent intrest and activity around the SIP Rules I thought I'd
better give my untried Ancients conversion a road test.

I used a simple setup of two Imperial Roman Armies composed of 4 legions, 2
auxiliary archers and two auxiliary cavalry units.

Both proceeded to advance on each other in the Roman manner. Clashes occurred
along the battle line. Meanwhile the archers busied themselves exchanging shots.

Outcome was a clear victory for the blue Roman Team.

My conclusion: although a simple line up of identical forces with no terrain I
was rather pleased with the game and how the rules played out.

Observations:
1. There are a lot of dice!
2. The proximity rule for more friendly vs enemy units starts to kick in as a
factor once a side starts to overwhelm the other.
3. I liked the grinding slogging match between units.
4. The excitement of getting double points in melee was entertaining. Can't wait
for a treble.
5. Missile fire wasn't a battle winner as expected.
6. Much faster than AMW - I finished this game in under half an hour.
7. With a more challenging scenario and different combatants the rules have all
the potential to be a very entertaining alternative to AMW. It could be a great
way to play really massive games or recreations at tournaments / events. Younger
players would love the dice!
8. I would encourage you to give it a try - I think you will find that they will
start you thinking about all the uses they could be put to. They seem to be a
very flexible way to adapt any scenario - large, medium, small.

Final point: I'm just not sure how they could be viewed vs the original. It
doesn't feel quite like detailed vs summary rules systems. Could be a DBA v DBM
sort of comparison?

No comments:

Post a Comment