Sunday 5 September 2010

Modern Playtest: Queries re Unit Firing Resolution

I use 6mm figures. For this game my infantry units were 3, three figure bases
which dismounted from either a BTR-60 or FV432 MICV. There were 8 rifles and one
GPMG with facility to use one M72 LAW or one RPG-7 by a rifleman.

I group the entire unit for firing and fire one unit at a time. I don't combine
units and I don't split firing units between separate targets. For every firing
declaration, the results from one attack are resolved before declaring the next
fire.

I toyed with the idea of including attached support weapons but I just roll
these as a separate firing attack. The only exception are MICVs which can be
placed behind dismounted platoons and count as part of that formation allowing
the MIVC to support the fire of the infantry with its VMG (at the same target).
The MICV can still be targeted as a separate element of the unit.

For targeting units I target the whole unit and fire is performed 1 unit v 1
unit. Again, for target units there are no sub-groups within a unit or combined
unit groups. This applies to all fire including artillery and mortars. You could
argue that the latter weapons cover an area which might include more than one
unit, however, the simplicity of using a 1:1 relationship between firer and
target outweighs the effort for me. Artillery and mortar fire is still quite
variable and I like the random hits piece prior to hit resolution. A few high
rolls and there goes your dismounted platoon!

Glad you don't mind me hogging the airwaves with my developments. I'm really
enjoying going through my figures collection period by period using these rules.
Each game confirms that 1. I'm enjoying the style and level of these games and
2. They are giving me a period result I'm happy with. I haven't had a
disappointing game yet. I've been contemplating recently extending say a
Napoleonic or Classical game to 12 or even 16 units and seeing what that does to
the overall dynamic and pace. I think that what I sometimes feel in 8 unit games
are that there are not quite enough units to exploit successes and function as a
true reserve. 12 or 16 units would seem to offer this possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment