Tuesday 30 November 2010

War of the Roses Game

I've just completed a real grinding contest between the Houses of York and Lancaster. As it was pretty snowy outside I decided on a Towton like battle fought in a swirling blizzard. The gameplay matched the weather with a whirlwind of manoeuvre settling down to a series of close combats along the line.

The archers were potent and made a telling impact, however, it was the heavy infantry and cavalry which proved to be the decisive arms. The superior armour ratings gave them high battlefield endurance and staying power in close combat.

I succumbed to allowing a unit of mounted knights on each side - what a medieval game without knights! I know it wasn't on the lists but I couldn't resist.

Outcome was a very narrow Yorkist victory - 3 units to 2. About as close as you can get.

I really enjoyed this - it looked good and played the way I would expect a medieval brawling match would pan out.

Next on my list - a revisit of the skirmish rules I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment