Tuesday 4 June 2013

Fantasy Rules: Some More Setting Variants

There has recently been some discussion on the AMW Yahoo Group concerning the Fantasy variant I posted some time ago in the Files section. This got me contemplating additional settings that I could develop new army lists for, formulate some special rules and ultimately play a few games.

My current fantasy setting is the Archaeron World based on the C&S First Edition campaign developed by Ed Simbalist. On reflection there were a few other Fantasy settings that I'd actively gamed back in the 1980s. So the candidates so far for development are:

1. The Young Kingdoms of Moorcock's Elric novels. I ran a Stormbringer campaign.
2. Dragon Pass / Praxian armies of the Runequest Glorantha setting. I played in a RQ first edition setting in the early 80s.
3. AD&D massed battles setting. This would allow combats between factions and races in a wilderness / frontier region, various subterranean locations and optional extensions of the skirmish rules to allow some dungeon style games. These would be based on my earliest adventures and RPG settings and bring in some of my favourite characters as leaders and personalities.
4. Regarding a Tolkein setting, I'd used MERP to game a Northern wilderness campaign.  From this interest I was contemplating looking at a specific section of history in the Third Age which focused on the struggle in the North between Arnor and Angmar. This could cover the Civil Wars and the Wars v the Witch King and include some interesting armies. It also has much less in the form of pre-canned third party design and views as to the setting's look and feel than the Lord of the Rings period. My original imagination when I read the books was of a late Dark Age world with a good dose of monsters and subtle magic. If I enjoy this I might be tempted to extend this forward to the War of the Ring or maybe into other conflicts in Middle Earth's History.

No comments:

Post a Comment