Saturday 25 September 2021

One Hour Wargames: Scenario 12 An Unfortunate Oversight

I wanted to get back into gaming after a short hiatus and thought a good way to do this would be using OHW. For this I would try out a stripped down version of the rules that I'd felt had been over engineered with modifications I'd used previously.

With one exception - I couldn't resist trying out some simple morale rules based on unit rating, casualties and commanders. These worked out pretty well and injected just the right amount of friction without slowing the game down. Obviously open to further modification as I playtest these they provide a solid add-on that I'm inclined to keep.

I chose the scenario randomly with a D20 roll and the sides with a D6 from the lists. I went for a Napoleonic lineup as these are the models I have to hand just now while I'm going through a house reorganisation. French v Russians in 1812 with two splendid brigades ranged against each other.



The French were tasked with a daunting prospect of capturing the village and the hill. By using the ford they were supposed to get an advantage in circumventing the river and opening up the right flank to assault. That was the plan, however, their assault was stalled by tenacious Russian resistance.



The final position saw the French down to one remaining battalion while the Russians retained four functioning units and a shredded elite battalion of grenadiers still willing to use the bayonet on the invaders.

The cat reflected on the Russian tactics while I was checking my counter inventory for Third Reich after I packed the OHW game away.

No comments:

Post a Comment