Saturday 25 September 2021

Some Recent Acquisitions

I've been spending a small birthday fund that I'd accumulated at the start of the year and have made several interesting purchases that I'm sure are going to give me a lot of payback once I've invested a bit of time in them.

First up was a set of rules I'd wanted for some time, Sharp Practice. This fills a nice little niche allowing large skirmishes which is a wargame I really enjoy. Also set during one of my favourite periods covering the entire black powder era. So it will be with a Napoleonic focus at first but whose not to say whether I will dabble in ACW or AWI scenarios too. I also got a set of cards at a reasonable price and these are very nice.

Next was the WWII version of the rule booklet for Battlegroup. I was so impressed with the Cold War set and had seen such good battle reports on YouTube and on-line that it looked to be a very promising candidate as my preferred WWII ruleset. Also Amazon was selling this at sales price so enough said! It is a lovely book with excellent illustrations and clear, well written text and explanations.


I've also always wanted to recreate medieval skirmishes ever since I used to play out extensive battles with my 1/32nd toy soldiers in my early teens. So the prospect of a clear and simple ruleset at a below £10 price was irresistable. This ruleset has a great reputation and reading through it I was immediately impressed and  enthused. I even searched out his Dark Age adaptation Landwasters and Raven Feeders so I can extend this without any trouble into the earlier period and use my Anglo Saxons and Viking figures. There is even a Fantasy version that I've seen but that's a future project.

Final purchase is the WRG 1685 to 1845 Wargaming Rules. A bit old school compared to the others but was this was more a substitution and preservation move to replace my original rule book and prevent any further wear and tear. By getting a nice fresh version that is in a pleasing A4 size format I can now leaf through the rules with confidence that I'm not causing further damage to my precious original. I read through these again and they are still absolutely up there as one of my favourite sets of rules. They have a charm and quality that just just lends itself to the size of game I prefer involving only a handful of brigades.
So that was a well spent budget delivering a lot of bang for the buck. The cat was content with some treats that I managed to divert a small portion of the funds for.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment