Friday 4 June 2010

New Player: First Post

I'm giving this rules system a second try. I bought the Introduction to Wargaming volume by Neil Thomas a couple of years ago and had some good games with them.

Played an exciting Late Imperial Rome v Huns / Goth Alliance which mashed the latter quite convincingly. Also played an excellent ACW engagement and converted the WW2 Rules to a Sci-fi Space Marines type game (not WH40K the old FGU Space Marines Universe).

I recently purchased his other two books and since then have had two excellent solo games. First an out of period line up between Early Hoplite Greek v Early Imperial Romans. This was a real slugfest which went down to the wire. Greek victory but only just. The Romans had poor dice rolls throughout which had a bearing but seemed to reflect the impact of luck in war quite well.

The second game was a superb Early Renaissance conflict between French and Spanish in the Italian Wars. French won quite convincingly by pinning the enemy and rolling over with their pike blocks.

Now plan to play a Crimean game using the Napoleonic rules with a few period specific adaptations. After that a French Revolution conflict between French and Austrians.

I really like the flexibility of the rules. I think they are simple but not simplistic with lots of nice features akin to the old Featherstone Rules I used to game eons ago. It captures my view of how rules should play.

It's certainly getting all my 6mm armies out for an airing. I've got virtually every period in military history in my collection so I should have plenty of examples of period adaptations coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment