Wednesday 30 March 2011

Dark Age Game: Late Imperial Roman (West) v Gothic Army

At last I managed to get my Late Imperial Roman army out and fight some
barbarian opposition. I used the line-ups suggested in the AMW rulebook with
identical deployments.

There wasn't much terrain but a wood managed to divide the battle up into two
areas with a cavalry battle raging in one sector and the main infantry /
all-arms confrontation in the centre-left section.

The Romans out-fought their barbarian opposition. The cataphracts were grinding
and the abundance of other Roman cavalry provided a very flexible response to
the Gothic mounted menace. The Gothic infantry performed very well and one last
warband unit performed a heroic one stand defense against two encircling
auxiliary units.

Overall a very satisfying game which I enjoyed immensely. I love playing the
Late Romans and they really won this battle comprehensively.

Lets see how they square up to another Dark Age Army. In an earlier game they
wiped out a Hun / Goth Alliance but it was the first time I'd used the earlier
version of the rules and I completely mis-played my Hunnic Light Cavalry.

Long live the Empire!

No comments:

Post a Comment