Sunday 3 April 2011

Sci-Fi Game: WW2 Adaptation

I managed to put my Future Wars forces to the test yesterday with a classic
lineup (for me at least) of the old enemies the Terran Union v the
expansionistic and aggressive Azuriach Imperium.

Set on a semi-arid world with a climate similar to Northern Africa, the two
armies were deployed on roughly equal terms. Both had the services of some very
useful heavy infantry units and a fair compliment of AFVs and Personnel
Carriers.

The Terrans had a slight terrain advantage having occupied a small settlement
and thrown up some hasty field defences. The Azzies by contrast had to advance
across open plains, only occassionaly interspersed with low dunes and rocky
outcrops.

As the sun glinted off the black powered armoured Imperials, the Terrans were
able to get in a quick first strike with a Guard's unit hidden in a local form
of hardy desert tree / cactus field.

The Azzies, however, were moving forwards quickly and were able to engage the
Terrans on a wide front, pulling in their reserves and forcing them to adjust
the defensive line to their right flank which was under the most pressure.

The defence of the settlement and wooded region saw some real heroics from the
units involved. The Guards unit managed to rush an Imperial recon vehicle which
had strayed a little too close to their position and forced their crew to fight
hand-to-hand. A fanatical Azzie Heavy unit also advanced through a withering
fire to close assault the Terran defenders of the settlement and were poised to
complete a local victory, however, the rest of the force was faring less well.
The Azzie armour and vehicle stock had been largely eliminated while the Terrans
retained a couple of immobilised AFVs which could still exert some local
superiority. That backed up with a couple of fresh light infantry units, allowed
them to mop up the remaining resistance on their left flank and force the Azzies
to retire on their recently advanced centre - right sector.

This was a great game. It looked really cool with lots of units dashing around
the table, plenty of fire-fight action and heroics and some interesting and
deadly armour exchanges.

The WW2 Rules are a great way for me to play out all my "Modern" and Sci-Fi
ideas using the core concepts. That's all of my adaptations, apart from the RCW,
that I've now playtested.

I might extend this to some more Sci-Fi genres such as Victorian Sci-Fi, War of
the Worlds Martian Invasion, Modern Alien Invasion (very much in vogue just
now), English Civil War (1938), Dr Who Cyberman Invasion!

I've got figures that I can use for all of these and the rules are flexible
enough to use the core and inject the chrome through the period specific
amendments. It works for me on the Colonial Rules where I've three periods
represented: Zulu War, Boer War and Plains Wars - all use the core set but the
local variations still give a distinctively unique period game for me.

I think I might be reaching my wargaming Nirvannah: right rules, right scale and
access to all periods and genres.

Hurrah the Union!

No comments:

Post a Comment