Sunday 8 May 2016

Battle Cry Variant: Solferino 1859

Another foray into the Battle Cry variant scene. This time an adaptation I copied from the example provided on the Board Game Geek forums where a contributer had adapted the Battle Cry rules to this classic confrontation between the aggressive forces of France, Austria and Piedmont.

A colourful affair. This time I had to use single bases for Infantry although in future games I may top up the French and Austrians with black figures.

The rules restricted ranges and the ability to battle somewhat but did allow for more movement to reflect the aggressive posture of both armies in the encounter.

Here was the setup before I realised double based infantry units wasn't going to work with up 15+ units on each side.




Here it is with the updated unit array with the Austrians pressing hard on the French right.

This is how it ended with a narrow Austrian victory of 6 v 5 units. The cavalry proved quite effective in disrupting the French attack and this didn't really start to become effective until it was too late.

Another enjoyable variant experience. For both of these variants I'm creating a cheat sheet summary of period rules and unit types. The only bit of visual representation I need are victory / objective markers and for these I'm using flags for each nationality I've downloaded from the internet. Other adaptations I've got to try and formulate rules for are the Crimean War, War of 1812 and the Seven Weeks War. I already did a Franco Prussian game a while back using my 6mm figures - I can use any of these variants with my figure collection if I'd rather use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment