Wednesday 14 March 2018

My Collection: Squad Leader Fourth Edition (1980) Avalon Hill

This was one of the first Avalon Hill games I played when I was introduced to more sophisticated board wargames back in the late 1970's. I think it must have been the Second Edition I played which came out in 1978.


I remember the Guards Counterattack scenario, pictured in these photos, as an exciting introductory game. It had all the grittiness and granularity you could want from an infantry skirmish simulation backed up with superb rules mechanisms that captured the period flavour and tactical situation perfectly.


The map and counters combined with the cover art really provides an old school feel and look. This was a first in the use of geomporphic board sections and a modular method of teaching game mechanics. Still looks good.


The cat was recruited latterly to help her fellow comrades storm the objective.


No comments:

Post a Comment