Saturday 19 October 2013

Cold War 1985-90 (and Other Modern Conflicts)

I recently became interested in extending my development of Cold War armies for the Modern Ruleset to incorporate some of the weapons introduced in the last stages of this conflict. I was particularly keen to start to design some rules to simulate the introduction of reactive armour, drone surveillance and cluster munitions. 

I've begun researching these in more detail and will roll forward my earlier army lists for 1970-85 to this later period which will include the M1 Tank and T-80 in the national TOEs. UK, US and Soviet forces should suffice for now. 

On other Modern conflict ideas, I came across an old S&T game write up of the Soviet invasion of Norway in the 1980s which might be an interesting staged campaign involving potential conflicts with Scandinavian forces. The Swedish Army of the 1980s was on my to-do list and the overall setting is appealing involving the intervention of US Marines, British Paras and Dutch forces in the assistance of Leopard equipped Norwegian units.

The Angolan Civil War and maybe the Ogaden War are sub-projects which I'm thinking of looking into in parallel with these other related Cold War topics. 

On the alternative history front I've seen some intriguing posts on a Very British Civil War genre but one set in a more contemporary context. I'm thinking of generating some 1980/90s lists which would have Chieftans and Challenger tanks as the mainstay of the armies with intervention from foreign brigades. 

That's quite a lot to get on with and I've got plenty of research and reading to do. To support this I recently started using the Scribd App on my Nexus 10 which gives me access to loads of Osprey and Military History titles in PDF format for reading as an e-book. This is a rich resource that is a mixed blessing as I keep stumbling over new ideas to develop further!   

No comments:

Post a Comment