Thursday 17 October 2013

More Developments

While on holiday in Amsterdam I've gone through my notebook where I jot down all my ideas for rules developments, projects, games etc. I've managed to pull a few ideas out which I'm hoping to develop over the next few days while I'm still off on annual leave.

1. Fictional Game set in 1850. I was intrigued by a post I saw a few months ago which pitted an Austro-Hungarian force vs a Russian Army in a 1850 setting. Both armies looked great and I thought this would be a nice confrontation to use using the Nineteenth Century Rules, which are the least of my gamed rule sets from the Thomas Collection. I'm keen to expand the lists to British, French, Turkish and Prussian armies and see what a European War c1850 would look like based on the armies at the time. I'm assuming a Crimean style but in a European context.

2. Conquistador Campaign Simulation. I'm a great fan of the SPI game Conquistador and would love to use it in combination with a Miniatures campaign. I'm going to explore how I can set up some campaign scenarios and link this with the map and counters.

3. Angolan War 1975-91. I'd like to convert this to the Thomas Modern Rules and devise lists for the Cuban, UNITA and South African Forces. Looks like an interesting setting with varied terrain and forces. Another Cold War simulation.

4. Feudal Technocracy. I was considering developing a futuristic setting based on the Dr Who episodes Androids of Tara where a Feudal technocratic society was portrayed equipped with bolter crossbows and power blades. Looked great and I thought I could adapt the Medieval Rules just like the 18th Century rules for my Lace Wars conversion.

Other ideas include:
- Roman technological adaptation. Rome with technology vs the barbarians. I've seen a few literary interpretations of this genre and a blog was carrying pictures of games involving powered chariots and winged flyers which looked exciting.
- Renaissance Warhammer Fantasy adaptation to the Thomas P&S Rules. I played a lot of Dark Omen a computer game set in this world back in the 90s and a conversion to miniatures using the Fantasy and P&S Rules would be fun to do.
- Sharpe Practice. I'm still devoted to the Thomas Skirmish rules which I've used extensively and always thoroughly enjoyed. A conversion of the good points in the Sharpe Practice Rules to these Rules to develop a Napoleonic sub-set looks an interesting project. I'm keen to game some skirmish style encounters but in doing so retain a lot of Napoleonic chrome and period specific features.


No comments:

Post a Comment