Friday 25 October 2013

World of Tanks Miniature Wargaming and Old School WWII Skirmishes

I've been looking at some of the YouTube videos dealing with the World of Tanks on-line game. I've never played it myself but I've watched my son play and I must admit, I love to watch the YouTube videos and all the tank stats being narrated. Personally I'm hooked on tanks and love reading books and watching documentaries on the subject. 

The game got me thinking about whether this could be adapted to a wargame using actual models. Yes I know it's not realistic with teams of vehicles from every nation ranged in un-historical match-ups but it looks a lot of fun and a way to get all your armour onto the table. I think I'll start looking at adapting the WWII Rules and layer some more detail to differentiate the key tank parameters of mobility, protection and firepower. Special rules could deal with upgrades. Scenario generators and map design seem to be central features. Lots to consider, however, I don't want to get too bogged down in detail and keep it relatively light touch.

Second discovery was the scenario in Charles Grant's Battle book the Action at Twin Farms which looks like a great skirmish game to get me back into this type of gaming. Great pictures of Airfix Germans and Russian having at it. Quite inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment