Sunday 2 July 2017

Command & Colours Ancients: Leuctra 371 BC

I've been looking at the Command & Colours system for Ancients and the hoplite warfare involved in the Peloponnesian War (431-404) and other later wars which featured the Spartans and other Greek armies in the Attica peninsula. 

A battle that stands out is Leuctra in 371 BC which saw the Thebans led by Epaminondas arrayed against the Spartans and their allies under King Cleombrotos. I'd already played an exciting wargame a couple of years ago that simulated this conflict and generated the same kind of historical outcome with a Theban victory.
To recreate for Command & Colours I scanned the relevant unit stickers and mounted these on cardboard in groups of four. I liked the look of this and it allowed me to simulate these battles without having to get the supporting expansion just yet. The light blue Greek armies in Expansion #1 are difficult to obtain just now and/or very expensive so I'm waiting for a re-print by GMT. I think they are including this in one of their P500 schemes.



The unit dispositions shows how Epaminondas massed his troops on the traditionally weaker left flank facing the Spartan units under Cleombrotos.

The cat provided some tactical advice that helped Epaminondas execute a similar ruse and defeat the Spartans. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment