Wednesday 19 July 2017

My Collection: Escape from Colditz (1973)

Here is my ancient Parker Games version which I got either as a birthday present or for Christmas the year it was published in 1973. This and my Campaign board game provided a staple of gaming in the mid 1970s to compliment my Airfix plastic wargaming ventures.

The box is pretty battered and I've had to make some recent repairs. The internal components are all in good condition for the age. 

The board is really quite beautiful with an elegant and clear design. The 3D view provided a very atmospheric and immersive feeling. You felt you were climbing the walls with your lengths of rope or burrowing under the ramparts in the escape tunnels. 
The cards are a bit worn and certainly look well used - the shoot to kill security card is especially creased and dog-eared! 
The coloured pawns are all wooden and very nice. I'm only missing one brown and one green. In fact this and the original dice are the only missing components which is pretty good after over 40 years. 


I'm going to try to run a solo game and see how this goes. This can show me where we I need to introduce some solo variants. Creating an AI response mechanism for the German security officer is the obvious option but I will need to see with playtesting. I still think this game deserves play and this is validated by the recent Osprey re-issue in 2016. It's a great visual treat and hits the nostalgia button square on the head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment