Thursday 6 July 2017

My Collection: Avalon Hill's Tobruk - Tank Battles in North Africa 1942 (1975)

I picked this game up recently from e-bay and got it for a very reasonable price. It reminded me, in it's level of granularity and subject matter, of my youthful experiences of John Sandars An Introduction to Wargaming and his sketched out Sandskreig Rules. These I managed to piece together along with the charts and tables and create my own counters to allow me to use my Airfix 8th Army and Afrika Corps figures and vehicles.

I remember how involved I got in playing these simulations and it was probably the most complex wargame I had tried by that stage - I was only in my early teens and it amazes me that I had the patience to follow this project through.
Here is the game alongside a copy of my book which fired my imagination long ago. Nostalgia is a great thing and this Avalon Hill simulation must have been contemporary to my forays into desert warfare using my cloth sheet battlefields and 1:72 figures, tanks and guns.

The game has extensive charts and loads of detail which I like. Once I get to grips with the basics I should be able to run through each scenario. The bagged counters are all in situation order.  


The board as you can see is pretty bland but as it represents the desert, not unexpected and is completely functional. I like the Avalon Hill mounted boards and counters so no issues from my standpoint. 
Another classic to add to the collection.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I got this in my teens as well. Second wargame after Richthofen's War. Now in my mid 50s, re-acquired it a couple of years ago. Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all time favorite game after starting in miniatures. To expand on the original with more units free like armored cars and more see:
    https://wargamingtobruk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete