Sunday 2 July 2017

My Collection: Avalon Hill's Frederick the Great (1982)

I've always been fascinated by the linear warfare of the 18th Century. Nothing exemplifies this more than the campaigns of Frederick the Great so I was really pleased to add this old boardgame from Avalon Hill (1982) to my collection and represent the Seven Years War at a strategic level.


I managed to get a copy from Australia on Board Game Geek along with a copy of The Guns of August for my WWI fix. They took a while to get here by surface mail but were worth the wait. In the package I got the bonus of the relevant General magazine and a photocopy of the Strategy and Tactics magazine article that supported the original incarnation as a SPI game.   

The board is a great representation of central Europe and details the major fortresses and cities of the rival powers.
A bonus was the inclusion of a supplement in the General Magazine detailing the Silesian Wars and the additional counters provided with the issue were also in my boxed version. So I've got the ability to simulate Frederick's earlier campaigns.
The cat was not impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment