Saturday 8 July 2017

My Collection: War of the Ring SPI (1977)

Here is an old classic that I picked up a couple of years ago to replace the missing components I had from my original Middle Earth SPI boxed game of War of the Ring and it's two sub-games Sauron and Gondor.
The map is massive and I've had to use two perspex sheets to cover it. This does have the advantage that I can place the charts and tables under the glass to the side for reference.

The box art is really cool. It shows the Bakshi movie art cover. The animated film made back in the late 1970s was a favourite of mine which I later got the DVD.
The artwork in this game is excellent and is in line with my own visualisation of the book. It's strange how you have a unique internalised vision of a world that you hold onto. This game brings this out which is nice as it has been largely blown away by the later Peter Jackson films.
I did have the maps and rules for the other two games Sauron and Gondor. I have created my own unit counters from a file stored on Boardgame Geek which allows me to play them and thereby completes my original version.  






1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed seeing the maps again. I bought the game back when it came out, but sold it in the early 2000s when I moved cross-country. I agree the interior art is very evocative. I played Gondor and the War of the Ring game a few times, and found both enjoyable, but never played Sauron.

    ReplyDelete